Janelle Monae

Janelle Monae has been deemed the unofficial poster child for the Afro-Punk Movement. Her energetic performances, unique fashion, and conscious lyrics have sparked a strong following. Janelle Monae’s clothing style includes a tuxedo-based wardrobe limited to black and white.

James Brown, Tina Turner, Prince, Michael Jackson and Grace Jones have inspired Monae’s music and style. Janelle Monae’s alter ego, Cindi Mayweather is described as an ArchAndroid from the year 2719 in her first album, Metropolis: Suite I (The Chase). Monae stated, “The Archandroid, Cindi, is the mediator, between the mind and the hand. She's the mediator between the haves and the have-nots, the oppressed and the oppressor. She's like the Archangel in the Bible, and what Neo represents to the Matrix.”

Janelle Monae has established a platform in her career to inspire young women to be fearless in their life endeavors and embrace their beauty. Monae stated, “I feel like I have a responsibility to my community and other young girls to help redefine what it looks like to be a woman. I don't believe in men's wear or women's wear, I just like what I like. And I think we should just be respected for being an individual…. I've been in Vogue, now, and different publications, which is cool, because I think that it just shows a different perspective of how women can dress.” At the age of 26, Janelle Monae has been nominated for 3 Grammy Awards in her career.